This is one of my first recipes, and one of my favorites: simple and delicious, it reminds me the cakes my mom used to prepare for me and my brothers… It is soaked with a light syrup which makes it very moist.
I used yuzu in this version, but you can simply replace it with lemon.
This cake is made of:
- a moist lemon cake batter
- a yuzu and lemon syrup
Lemon cake batter
This cake batter can be prepared in advance, and placed in the loaf pan in the fridge for a maximum of 24 hours, or in the freezer for a maximum of 2 weeks. When you need it ready, just bake it directly (no need to defreeze it, just extend the baking time by a few minutes).
- Stand mixer with flat beater
- Loaf pan (approx. 25cmx8cmx8cm)
- Baking paper
- Basting brush
- 75 g Butter
- 210 g Flour Type 45
- 6 g Baking powder
- 2 pieces Lemon zests
- 220 g White sugar
- 160 g Eggs Around 3 medium eggs
- 110 g Thick fresh cream "Creme fraiche epaisse" in French
- 1 pinch Fleur de sel French sea salt
- Grease the loaf pan with little melted butter (use the brush). Cut and place parchment paper that fits in the bottom of the pan. Flour the pan and remove the excess flour.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- Melt the butter and let it cool (roughly to 45/50°C).
- Place the sugar and the lemon zests in the bowl of the stand mixer equipped with the flat beater. Add the eggs one by one and mix.
- Add the thick cream AND the salt and mix.
- Sieve the flour TOGETHER with the baking powder.
- Add them to the previous mixture.
- Add the melted butter (just warm).
- Bake for 10 minutes. With a sharp knife cleave the thin crust formed on the top of the cake.
- Continue baking for 45 minutes at 170°C (check the doneness with a toothpick it has to come out clean).
Yuzu and lemon syrup
The syrup can be prepared in advance, and placed in a sealed jar in the fridge for a maximum of 5 days, or in the freezer for a maximum of 2 months. When needed, just reheat it in a saucepan.
- 120 g White sugar
- 90 g Mineral water
- 85 g Lemon juice Freshly squeezed
- 85 g Yuzu juice
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil.
Reheat the syrup.
As soon as the cake is done, place it on a cooling rack placed itself on a baking tray.
Pour generously the syrup on the cake. Make sure the sides are soaked properly. Place the cake in the tray for a few seconds to make sure the bottom is soaked as well. Collect the excess syrup in the tray and pour it back in the saucepan.
Repeat the previous step two more times.